Wednesday, July 19, 2006

New Tasks

For some reason this blog can not be viewed from where I am here in India. I have checked that others can view it and that is what really matters. The most amusing thing is that I can update and change the site but I can’t seem to view the final product.

As for myself I have a few new tasks heading for me. In a few weeks or so I should be teaching basic computer skills to a small group of Tibetan Buddhist monks and then maybe publishing a photo book.

The idea of teaching is good. The difficulty is teaching something that seems so basic. Teaching someone how to: use mouse, right click, left click. Then realize you have to teach what ‘click’ means. It is a bit of a mind bender when you have to think of teaching computer basics. Using a computer is like breathing…..you just use it and figure everything else out as you go. That is not exactly the professional response now is it?

The other task heading my way is to get some of my photos published. I might have to face down the task of making a book. A task I have not yet done. I have worked on the magazine for the monastery for the past 2 years. So I know that Indian printers can never live up to the order you place with them and they take 10 times longer then expected to do anything. All and all making a book would still be a fun experience….it just may never get printed.

This book is a bit of a long shot since the people it would benefit don’t see any value in it. By the time they do see the value the window of opportunity will have passed. This is always a sad thing for me to watch. Since it happens so many times, I wish I could naturally be un-effected.

So that is what is on my platter.

No comments: